If you feel you don’t want to talk to those close to you or have feelings that are just too frightening to share with those close to home, you may find that you benefit from seeing a professional counsellor.  

The best place to start is by asking your GP for a referral as they usually have an array of counsellors that they work with and can send you to the one who will be the best fit for you on this journey.  The Cancer Society can also provide details of any counselling services that they provide or recommend in your area.

Costs of counselling can be covered by WINZ or the Cancer Society in some cases – you can find their details in the Little Pink Book to find out if you are eligible.